Renovation & Design

Homeowner responsible for Hydro wiring on property

QUESTION: I don’t know who to contact about the following — the hydro line connected to my house rubs against the shingles, which also creates a banging noise when it’s windy. Hydro has previously put something around the wires in that area, presumably to protect the wires or the roofing, but it’s still wearing away at the shingles. Hydro was contacted about this a while ago and their response was that I needed to hire an electrician to raise the mast. I’m wondering if that really is my responsibility, since it wasn’t set up properly in the first place. Thanks for any input on the matter.

— L. Dueck

Answer: Many homeowners, like yourself, may think the infrastructure for the utilities entering your home are not your responsibility, but anything on your property is likely repaired at your cost. While this may seem unreasonable, the utilities absorb the costs of maintaining all the other equipment, including on public property near your home. Contacting Manitoba Hydro for more clarification on your specific issue should help clear this up.

Unfortunately, it is your responsibility to provide the equipment to allow service conductors from the electrical utility to safely enter your home and property.

This includes the service mast, associated hardware and the meter box. There are minimum clearances for this wiring, depending on the building type and use. For most residential properties, there is a minimum 3½-metre clearance required from a landscaped yard and four-metre clearance from a driveway. If your home is a bungalow, you may not currently have these clearances. If your home is a two-storey, raised bungalow or multiple level, then these distances may be OK. Determining whether the current service wiring is high enough as it passes over your property may be the first item to address.

To get further information on the requirements for homes relating to the service entrance and the overhead wiring, check out the Manitoba Hydro website, where you can download the 2018 Residential Wiring Guide.

While much of the information in this document is related to actual wiring practices in the home, there is quite a bit of detail on all aspects of residential services. It not only has diagrams and descriptions of the proper way to wire a duplex receptacle or light, it also describes the permit process.

There are recommendations that any electrical work should be done by a licensed electrician, but also which items where that is mandatory. Service entrance equipment "must be installed by an electrician." This is to ensure not only a safe installation, but one that is done in complete compliance with Hydro’s requirement and the Manitoba Electrical Code.

On a less technical note, if any wires, including telecom cables, or others from an outside source, are touching any portion of your roofing, they should be fixed.

This is primarily to prevent damage to the wiring, which would be a major fire hazard if the wires have enough voltage and become damaged. Also, wires rubbing against asphalt shingles can damage the roofing, as you have seen. This could cause leakage, or even physical damage to the eaves or roof sheathing, as well. Despite the protective measures you describe, the roofing could easily fail with repeated contact with the wires.

According to the Hydro Guide, the top of a mast which protrudes through the eaves should be a minimum of just over a metre above the roofing. This will allow approximately a metre between the service wires and the roof surface.

Diagrams are included that show proper configuration and minimum clearances and maximum distances as prescribed. You could use this guide to ensure your electrician is doing things properly, when you complete this upgrade.

Doing so should not be a matter of choice, but should be done for certain. Hydro may have not pressed the matter, or grandfathered your current configuration, which was likely installed in the past when different codes and standards were in use. Regardless, paying for an experienced electrician to bring your potentially dangerous wiring up to current codes will be necessary.

The process should begin by contacting the municipality, or Manitoba Hydro, in your area to inquire about permits for the new service and wiring. You can either obtain the permit yourself, or ask the electrical contractor to make the application on your behalf.

Once obtained, the electrician can contact the utility to schedule a service installation. That will require running new wiring from the pole near your home to the newly installed mast, with proper clearances from your roof and other areas of your property.

Since your current service will have to be switched over, the new service equipment may be installed ahead of time to minimize disruption. Otherwise, the current service will have to be turned off, or the wiring disconnected, which will leave you without power for a longer period of time. For this reason, doing a service repair of this type should be attempted in the warmer months, to prevent the need for a temporary power supply.

Maintenance, repairs or upgrades on almost all items in your home or on your property are your financial responsibility, including the electrical service entrance equipment. Contacting Manitoba Hydro, or a licensed electrical contractor, in your area should answer all of your questions and provide the proper repair solution to prevent a significant safety hazard and damage to your roofing from the improper service wiring.

Ari Marantz is the owner of Trained Eye Home Inspection Ltd. and the past president of the Canadian Association of Home & Property Inspectors — Manitoba ( Questions can be emailed to the address below. Ari can be reached at 204-291-5358 or check out his website at


Browse Homes

Browse by Building Type