Question: I read your suggestions on this some time ago and have totally forgotten what you recommended.
I let popcorn cook too long in my microwave oven and it burnt. The smell of scorched fake butter lingers and it’s nasty. I have tried vinegar, with only slight success. Please help, love your work. Thanks,
Answer: Don’t worry, you are not alone, this happens all the time! Your best bet is to overpower the burnt smell with a pleasant aroma.
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine water and a few teaspoons of vanilla for baking.
The more vanilla, the stronger the smell.
Put the bowl inside the microwave and set the microwave to cook until the vanilla boils over and flows into the cracks and corners of the microwave (where the foul odour is coming from).
When the microwave has stopped, let sit for a few hours. Wipe the microwave out with a generous amount of vinegar and a few drops of lemon juice. Dry the microwave and unplug it.
Stuff the microwave with LOTS of crumpled up newspaper. The ink in newspaper will absorb the remaining odour. Leave the newspaper for at least a few days.
Remove the newspaper. Store a bowl of baking soda in your microwave when not in use.
Question: Is there an alternative to using mothballs to protect clothing from moths?
Answer: Absolutely! Wrap clothing with newspaper. Moths do not like the smell of printer’s ink.
Question: What is the easiest way to remove dirt rings on shirts, around the collar area?
Answer: Since the rings are caused by oil, the most effective and easy solution is to rub shampoo onto the collar before washing the shirts.
Question: As I age, my eyes are becoming weaker and threading a needle is almost impossible. Any suggestions?
Answer: Reading glasses or a magnifying glass will make the task easier. Another trick is to dip the end of the thread in clear nail polish. When the thread is stiff, it becomes easier to feed through the eye of the needle.
Question: How can I easily remove crayon marks off my living room wall and floor?
Answer: Scrub with toothpaste and water; the marks will disappear in a snap.
Question: How can I brighten up dingy white socks?
Answer: Boil socks for 10 minutes in a pot of water with one tablespoon of lemon juice. Wash as normal.
Note: Every user assumes all risks of injury or damage resulting from the implementation of any suggestions in this column. Test all products on an inconspicuous area first.
Reena Nerbas is a popular motivational presenter for large and small groups; check out her website: reena.ca. Ask a question or share a tip at reena.ca.