Its often been the belief that a contractor avoids renovating or even properly maintaining his or her own house and property, simply because most days are filled achieving those very tasks, for clients. This may be the case for some within the industry, but I have rarely felt that way. Indeed, it can be extremely cumbersome to repeat the same tasks at home, when having been hired to perform similar deeds for someone else. However, it boils down to this why hire someone else when you can simply do it yourself?
While juggling this winters weather (and highway) conditions, not to mention many supply chain issues and delays, as well as a few other unforeseen issues, it has been a challenge (to say the least) to remain on schedule with my pre-booked interior projects. Luckily and for the most part, I am thrilled to report that most projects have either been completed on time or remain on schedule (thus far). It has taken a tremendous amount of effort to maintain a hectic and rigorous work calendar, despite the many obstacles this winter season has presented in an apparent attempt to slow me down.
As such, it should not be surprising to anyone that, upon arriving home late on a Friday afternoon after a long week of dodging obstacles and circumventing issues, pulling up to the house to notice aluminum fascia flapping in the wind along the North gable did not impress me in the least. Its quite probable that a few expletives were muttered as the truck approached the garage stall. After taking a deep breath and settling down a bit (while accepting the fact that this task was added to my ever growing list of things to do), a quick jaunt over the snowbanks along the North side of the house confirmed the issue was urgent. At some point in the next two days, this section of fascia would need to be replaced to prevent any further damage to the remaining fascia and shingles, and moreover avert the possibility this fascia could let go and become a dangerous projectile in strong winds.
Once it was established that the winds would diminish by Sunday morning, a quick visit to RONA on Kenaston sometime Saturday would be required to pick up a 10-foot section of fascia, as there was no remnants left on site. By early Sunday morning, the winds had indeed subsided. The new aluminum fascia was cut to a length of four feet, enough to cover the affected area with a six-inch overlap on either side. The appropriate self-tapping hex screws, my driver and tin snips were gathered for the impending project. Now that everything needed was assembled for the impending fascia fix, the safest manner of getting onto the roof was determined, by using a 10-foot step ladder set atop the South-side balcony allowing the safest and most convenient access. With fascia and tools in hand, I climbed the ladder and carefully propped myself up and onto the roof.
Luckily, the winds keep the roof clear of snow, at all times. And, because my roof pitch is very gradual, never once has it been an issue walking the roof on a calm day. That being said, a roof visit in the dead of winter is definitely less desirable than on a hot and sunny, summer day. No matter, the wind was cooperating, and the task necessary. As such, the section of new fascia was carefully placed on top of the roof near the torn fascia location, temporarily held in position by the weight of the tools. It only took a few seconds to maneuver and tear the flapping section of old aluminum fascia from the framing behind it. Any existing screws along the bottom edge at the soffit were first removed to ensure the four-foot section of new fascia could be installed flush along the lower surface. The top edge slid into the retainer clip just below the shingles, and the new fascia was secured with a copious amount of self-tapping hex screws – overkill maybe, I just didnt want any reason to have to be back up there again, if it could be avoided. Roughly 20 minutes later, the job was completed averting any potential repercussions had the flapping fascia been left to fester. The winds began to pick up again, just as I headed back towards the South end of the roof to disembark.
The last thing I felt like doing over the weekend was jumping on to my own roof, early on a Sunday morning. However, tackling an issue from the onset usually prevents a larger problem from evolving, which can lead to a costlier fix. On the bright side, my visit to the roof did confirm that the shingles had withstood this winters fury, quashing any lingering suspicions otherwise and subsequently subduing my anxiety. Before leaving the roof, I took a moment to gaze out into the neighbouring fields what a view from up there.
And wow, did we ever get a lot of snow this year!